Getting a haircut is not only about the length, style, and shape. Thinning scissors are designed to remove weight from your hairstyle by thinning out thick, curly, or frizzy hair. One blade of each pair of thinning shears has thinning teeth, while the other does not. The sharp grooves and edges on each tooth of thinning scissors are designed to eliminate excess weight, blend sections of hair, and reduce hair thickness. Texturize, style, and enhance the shape created at the end of hairstyling with thinning scissors. Haircutting scissors are used to establish the main structure and shape of your haircut, while thinning scissors are used to style the final 10%. Hair stylists and barbers utilise three different types of hair thinning scissors. The first thinning scissor (20 to 30 teeth) is used to blend and texturize hair, the second (10 to 16 teeth) is used to remove huge chunks of weight from thick hair, and the third (30 to 40 teeth) is used to finish and style a haircut. While thinning shears and texturizing scissors are slightly different, they both remove hair without changing the length or shape of the haircut. Texturizing scissors provide volume and movement to the style, but thinning scissors remove weight from the hair. So why not use regular scissors to try and thin out your hair? This method is not only time consuming, but it also does not produce the same flawless results as thinning scissors. Why cut individual hair strands when you can use a fantastic tool to provide even greater results?
How do thinning scissors work?
The evenly spaced grooves on hair thinning scissors are there for a reason. They allow you to remove less hair from a section than traditional cutting scissors. Using different approaches, just like any other sort of scissor, will produce varied outcomes. If you’re working with thick hair, you might want to use thinning scissors to thin it out. When you merely want to soften the edges without losing the wonderful shape you’ve created, you can use thinning scissors on various hair types. Thinning scissors look like scissors but instead of cutting off a section of hair, thins it by grabbing and cutting some strands of hair but leaving others.
Types of Hair Thinning Shears
There are three main types of hair thinning scissors. What are the differences between them? The size of their teeth and the number of teeth they have. Depending on the outcome you wish to accomplish, you should choose which one to use. To soften and blend all the blunt lines, scissors with closely spaced teeth are typically used. The broader option, on the other hand, will allow you to easily remove the weight of the hair. The three types are:
- Chunking scissors: They have 7 to 15 teeth. Their wide setting allows you to remove unwanted hair weight quickly and effectively. That is not, however, everything there is to know. You must take caution and avoid cutting too quickly. The larger the gap between the teeth, the more significant and harsher the cuts.
- Finishing scissors: They have 15 to 22 teeth. They allow you to achieve a smooth, blended finished results. This is the type to use if you want to soften the ends of a cut.
- Texturizing scissors: Have around 25 teeth and sometimes more. They make it easy to make accurate finishing cuts and lift hair that is otherwise heavy-looking. This will ensure that any hairstyle you create has a light, airy texture, and flow, which is essential.
The more teeth or grooves a pair of thinning scissors has, the more softly the appearance will change. If you’re cutting thick hair, a set of scissors with fewer teeth will help you get the job done faster. When working with finer hair or adding texture, though, scissors with more teeth are the best choice. Make sure you’re using them on the right hair type. You might wind up with a poor haircut if you don’t. Also, remember that texturizing and finishing scissors are easier to use because the result is less dramatic. When using chunking scissors or shears with a wider tooth spacing than you’re used to, be cautious because the results can be drastic. When using hair thinning shears, concentrate on the texture rather than the length. Do not rely on them heavily, or you’ll wind up with a shapeless hairstyle and hair that feels thin, weak, and brittle, which is probably not what you want.
How to use hair thinning scissors and tips
So, now that we’ve chosen the perfect thinning scissors, how do we put them to work? It’s crucial to use thinning scissors on dry hair because it’s much easier to see how the hair falls naturally. It’s also important to work in portions to achieve a consistent appearance. Before you begin your work, make sure your hair is completely dry and combed. Why? That’s because dry hair is easier to cut than wet hair, and hair thinning scissors aren’t as strong as regular scissors because they have extra grooves on one side. Because of this, forcing them through damp hair will result in a jagged and uneven cut, which is a disaster waiting to happen.
The thinning scissors should never be used near the root. This may result in short, spiky hairs that protrude from the rest of the head of hair. We want to use thinning scissors to achieve a blended, seamless effect. On longer hair, angle your thinning scissors downwards in the direction of hair growth. Keep the blades closed and glide the scissors down as though combing through the hair with each snip. The higher you start from the hair’s ends, the more weight you’ll be able to remove.
On short hair, you can pull the hair up from the root. Simply cut along the line of the already-created shape. Keep track of how many cuts you’re making, as too many can result in you losing more hair than you anticipated.
Thinning scissors maintenance
The main reason to keep your hair tools clean is to adhere to hygiene requirements but keeping your scissors clean will also extend their lifespan. Because of the notches on your thinning scissors, they’re a little more difficult to clean than regular scissors. You can keep your scissors looking new and shining with just warm water and a cleaning agent.
When deep cleaning, make sure the blades are open wide enough to get between all of the teeth. It’s critical to properly rinse the cleaning solvent and dry the scissors. Wipe down your scissors with a clean cloth between cuts for a quick clean.
Our Best Hair Thinning Scissor Suggestions
Here are out suggestion on the best hair thinning scissors:
These thinning scissors have been hand crafted to perfection and are suitable for both professionals and beginners. The razor-sharp tool, forged from superior Japanese stainless steel, trims hair with no effort and won’t harm or split the strands. The ULG thinning scissors feature 30 teeth and can thin hair by 20 to 25%. They’re also wonderful for texturizing hair. The thumb handle is shorter than the finger handle, which decreases thumb and wrist motion overextension and relaxes your elbow and wrist. This handle is the most practical and has the best ergonomics. Ideal for usage in salons, barbershops, and at home. Furthermore, the ergonomic finger rests provide a pleasant touch and cushioning while cutting. The scissors have a clean, classic design with a mirror-polish finish that makes them look incredibly beautiful. Hair thinning scissors with 30 teeth on one side provide a proper thinning rate for your hair. Layers could be added, thick hair or wigs can be thinned, and hair can be texturized for a trendy style. They are extensively premium quality for their price and perfect for regular use and you can maintain them by polishing them and adding oil to the scissors.
- Made from durable 440C Japanese stainless steel
- Sharp razor blades that can cut without tugging or pulling
- Removable inserts perfect for your finger size
- Lightweight design makes it easy to cut with
- 5″ overall length makes it safe enough to use on baby
- Overall scissors length: 6.5 inch
- Cutting/Thinning blades length: 2.5 inch.
Ontaki hair thinning Scissors is the epitome of what a great thinning scissors should be. While the smooth blade cuts the hair, the corrugation keeps the hair from sliding out of the blade. They are easy to handle and use. These premium quality hair thinning scissors come in a variety of colours like black with, silver and satin and all of them have a premium looking gold accents. The most premium feature of these scissors is the Japanese hand-crafted steel. It ensures that the scissors will remain in perfect shape and have high endurance. They feature a convex blade for accurate whisping, with a rounded tip for optimal safety and smooth cuts. This product also comes with a ring set for comfort. You can use them by putting them on your fingers or the scissors and they are also safe to use. The thinning scissors also comes in a leather pouch along with an extra free comb ensuring premium quality.
- Premium hand-forged Japanese steel – forged and sharpened by hand and designed using premium Japanese steel, the quality of Ontaki’s 5” salon shears are incomparable. With scissors from Ontaki, you get sensational cutting performance alongside absolute reliability and long-lasting durability.
- Multipurpose, sharp, and precise – Ontaki salon shears feature convex blades for accurate barber whisping, with a rounded tip for optimal safety and smooth cuts. Perfect scissors for moustache, beard, nose hair, body hair, bang trimming, children’s haircuts, pet fur trimming, and more!
- Ergonomic design for optimal comfort – our exclusive professional design features a removable finger rest, adjustable tension knob, and rubber comfort ring inserts for unbeatable comfort, reliability, and an overall enjoyable, professional hair-cutting experience.
- Ontaki scissor-smiths quality standard – at Ontaki, we don’t cut any corners when it comes to top of the line quality and durability. With professional seasoned scissor-smiths utilizing their expertise in scissor engineering, sharpening, and inspection – each pair of Ontaki scissors will provide industry standard performance for a lifetime.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed – at Ontaki, we pride on providing our customers with premium top quality, budget-friendly scissors of all types. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your professional salon Japanese shears, a full refund will be applied within 30 days of purchase.
Made with high-quality stainless steel that does not wear out easily these are one of the most durable thinning scissors. The hair thinning scissors are particularly composed of 4CR stainless steel, which is corrosion resistant and long-lasting. It also comes with an ergonomic design that offers a comfortable grip. The short thumb handle and the longer finger handle offer support for your hands and is carefully engineered to offer support for your hand while cutting and styling the hair. The Essoy professional thinning scissors feature an adjustable screw that allows to easily tighten or loosen the scissor. All in all, these scissors are versatile and comfortable to use. When you buy this product, you also get an extra cleaning cloth and a fine hair comb that is surely to get each hair.
- Material: The hair thinning scissors are made of 4CR stainless steel，Corrosion resistant with excellent stability and durability.
- Size: the hair scissors about 6.7inch/17cm and blades are about 2.4inch/6cm，the shorter thumb handle and the extended finger support make your hair cutting much easier.
- Detail: adjustable screw to easily tighten or loosen hair styling scissors，the muffler to make less noisy when thumb handle and finger handle striking
- Wide use: The scissors are safe and easy to use, this hair cutting scissors are easy to use on men, women, adults, and children.
- what you get: hair scissor，cleaning cloth and a hair comb.
These hair thinning scissors are aesthetically the best looking on the market. The holographic colour to these scissors adds a unique touch and personality to an item that might look plain in most cases, but these scissors are not only about the looks. The material is high quality and handcrafted Japanese steel that is sure to stay sharp and be long lasting. They are also very light-weight and easy to handle ensuring that you can quickly and precisely cut and thin out hair.
- Professional Hair Thinning Scissors, 5.5 inch
- Hand crafted, made from Japanese steel (J2) will stay sharper much longer
- Round, smooth tension screw system gives a greater required tuning
The grey japansese flower design on these scissors along with the gold finish to the accents of the scissors adds a very unique personal touch. This thinner scissors’ one edge has 28 extra sharp teeth, and the other has a razor edge, which makes every cut smooth without tearing or pulling, and can achieve a thinning rate of 20 to 25 percent. You may quickly and evenly cut your hair and texture with these precision blades and hand-sharpened thinning razor edges for a beautiful look. The ergonomic design of these scissors eliminates thumb and wrist movements overextension and relaxes your elbow and wrist. The ergonomics of salon scissors with this sort of handle are the best, allowing for higher cutting power with less hand strain. The armrests’ comfortable design can be adjusted to fit any finger and thumb.
- High quality: This barber scissors is made of high-quality stainless steel and is made with the latest Design and easy to use on men, women, adult and children. Its professional Coating prevents the steel from rust. A must have beauty accessory and an unmatched hair cutting experience every time you use them. Thinning scissors is used to textures hairs as needed
- Without tearing: One edge of this thinner shears is with 28 extra sharp teeth, and the other is with razor edge, which make every cut smooth without tearing or pulling, can get 20-25% thinning rate. Tempered with precise blades and hand-sharpened thinning razor edges, you can easily and evenly trim your hair and texture for a stylish look
- Ergonomic design: Ergonomic design reduces over extension of thumb and wrist motion, relaxes your elbow and wrist. Salon scissors of this type of handle has the best ergonomics, which allows for greater cutting leverage with less hand pressure. The comfortable design of the armrests can be adapted to any finger and thumb
- Versatility: With a length of 6″, the hair cutting scissors is safe and easy to use on men, women, the elderly, ladies, babies, kids, dogs, and other pets. Perfect for home and primary barber, great for thinning thick hair, DIY haircut or hairdressing use
- Customer satisfaction: DMYCO will give 100% free replacement or full money back refund if customer is not satisfied with the purchase. It can be a perfect gift for your son, father, husband and friends on birthday, thanksgiving, New Year or Christmas.