Left-handed people make up about 10% of the population in the United Kingdom. If you’re a lefty, you’ll appreciate how crucial it is to utilise hairdressing scissors designed specifically for lefties. Did you know that just about 10% of hairstylists are left-handed? Over 65 percent of people assessed trimmed hair with their right hand or were taught to cut left-handed using a flipped right-handed shear. Because so few hair stylists use left-handed shears, the range of authentic left-handed shears for lefties is limited. Hairdressing scissors for left-handed people are a must-have device for the 1 in 10 people who use their left hand as their primary hand! Many stylists and barbers have had to learn how to use right-handed scissors in their left hand as left-handed people have adapted to a mostly right-handed world. Regardless, with a little practise, these stylists often report how much more comfortable it is cutting hair with professional hairdressing scissors designed for the left-handed.
Right-handed people rarely recognise the importance of dedicated left-handed products, and in order to do so, they should swap hands with their traditional hairdressing scissors and feel the odd feeling in their hand. If you’re left-handed, you’ll understand how crucial it is to utilise quality hairdressing scissors that are made specifically for left-handed stylists.
How do I know if I’m using a true left-handed scissors?
It’s simply to identify if you’re using a left-handed or right-handed scissor. Here’s how to figure it out:
Hold your scissors in front of your body in a regular cutting position. As you open and close the scissors, keep an eye on the thumb blade (the blade that is controlled by your thumb). You’re utilising a proper left-handed scissor if the thumb blade is the back-most blade. You’re using a flipped right-handed shear if the thumb blade is the front-most blade.
Here’s why it’s important. You should be extra cautious of repetitive strain injuries if you’re left-handed and using a flipped right-handed scissor. Why? The thumb blade is the front-most blade when utilising a flipped right-handed scissor. You must create friction against the back blade to open and close the shear without pushing or folding the hair. To accomplish this, draw the thumb blade toward your body as you cut. This puts a lot of strain on your thumb tendon, which can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and other RSI symptoms.
As a result, we strongly advise left-handed hair stylists to utilise a proper left-handed scissor. This will relocate the thumb blade to the back of the shear, allowing you to cut by pushing against it rather than pulling. This will not only ease strain on your thumb tendon, but it will also allow you to cut in a variety of postures with your elbow dropped at your side, which will relieve neck and shoulder pain.
It’s time to switch to left-handed scissors if you’ve spent your life using right-handed scissors. Using the incorrect pair is not only inconvenient, but it can also cause your cuts to be messed up. When looking for the scissors of your dreams, you’ll find that many have changed the moulding of the handles to fit lefties—but the location of the blades is what you should actually be looking for. True left-handed scissors should feature a reversed blade connection as well as reversed finger grips: When you open the scissors, the blade that travels upward should be on the left. This not only allows you to operate the blades more quickly with your natural hand motion, but it also allows you to see what you’re cutting.
Do you suffer from shoulder discomfort or exhaustion? It could be due to the way you hold your body while cutting.
Why not use a professional swivel scissor instead of a traditional scissor that forces you to twist your shoulder and lift your elbow? The thumb features a larger rotating circle than the other fingers, allowing it to rotate a full 365 degrees!
Swivel scissors take advantage of your elbow’s natural range of motion, allowing you to cut in an ergonomically right position.
When cutting length, layers on top, or point cutting fringe with typical scissors, you have to lift your shoulder and elbow, pulling your wrist into an uncomfortable position that causes pain. The thumb revolves with swivel scissors, leaving the shoulder and elbow in a natural, pain-free position.
Left handed scissor guide
To determine the right size hair scissors for left-handed hairdressers and barbers, follow these steps:
Before you start looking for a new pair of hairdressing scissors online, make sure you know how to choose the proper size for you:
- Obtain a ruler or a set of old hairdressing scissors.
- Place your left hand on the palm of your hand and open it.
- The full hair scissors or ruler should be measured against the palm of your hand.
- Place the blade’s or ruler’s tip on the end of your middle finger.
- Measure against your middle finger with the blade or ruler.
- If in doubt, the most common female left scissors sizes are 5.5″ and 5.75″, while the most common male sizes are 6.0″ and 6.25″.
The most common left-handed scissor sizes used by female hairstylists are:
- 5.25″ inch shears
- 5.5″ inch shears
- 5.75″ inch shears
- 6.0″ inch shears
The most common left-handed scissor sizes used by male hairstylists are:
- 5.75″ inch shears
- 6.25″ inch shears
- 6.5″ inch shears
The classic handles: On the classic handle hairdressing scissors, the upper and lower blades are aligned, and the rings line up with the one on top. These are a more classic form of scissors that are extremely common.
The offset handles: The offset and semi-offset handles are highly popular because they are slightly tilted and feature a shortened handle shank with the thumb ring, allowing you to cut in a more relaxed and comfortable position.
The crane offset handles: The Crane offset handle scissors are the most angled. While the upper blade is totally straight, the handle shank and thumb rings are tilted severely downwards. The most comfortable and ergonomic hairdressing scissors are said to be these crane hairdressing scissors.
The hairdressing scissor blades
Look for serrated scissors (micro serrated scissors) if you’re seeking for beginner scissors to practice on mannequins, students, and apprentice hairdressers and barbers. They grasp the hair and provide a simple straight hair cut. Slicing (slice cutting) and chopping are not possible with these hairdressing scissors.
If you’re looking for high-quality hairdressing and barber scissors, the convex edge blades are ideal since they have great edges that make the smoothest and sharpest cuts, making them ideal for slice cutting and chopping. Hardened steel is required for the convex edge blade, which is typically seen in Japanese hairdressing scissors due to the superior quality of Japanese steel.
Sharpening your scissors
Maintaining your scissors guarantees that the professional haircuts you provide to your clients are still as sharp as ever, thanks to the great edges on your hairdressing scissors.
It’s a tricky issue to answer but depending on how frequently professionals use their hairdressing scissors and the style of blade (convex or bevel edge scissors), you’ll need to sharpen them more frequently.
To ensure that your hairdressing scissors are well kept, get them sharpened and serviced at least once a year. However, make sure that the professional hairdressing scissor sharpening service you select is skilled so that your tools are not damaged.
Hairdressing scissors should be maintained with oil and a cleaning cloth by the hairdresser and barber to ensure that they last as long as needed.
Types of left-handed scissors
- Long lefty scissors
The long blade scissors are the finest choice for most barbering techniques for hairdressers searching for a left-handed scissor with more power.
These long blade left-handed scissors are in sizes ranging from 6.5″ to 7.25″ inches.
- Short Lefty Scissors
Short left-handed hairdressing scissors measure between 4.5″ and 5.25″ inches in length. These are lightweight and can handle a variety of hair cutting techniques.
They’re easy to transport between sites and have a lot of depth when it comes to point and cutting techniques.
- Texturizing & thinning lefty scissors
Left handed scissors have the same cut ratio as right handed scissors for hair style that requires a little thinning. The optimal sizes for left-handed thinning and texturising scissors are between 5.5″ and 6.25″ inches. Between 30 and 40 teeth are found on the most prevalent varieties of lefty thinning scissors.
Best Left Handed Scissors For Hair Dressing
These unique and fancy haircut scissors are made of durable Japanese that keeps its sharp edge for up to 5 times longer than standard stainless steel and they hardly ever need sharpening or get dull. These thinning scissors are perfect for taking volume and thickness off the hair. Thinning shears feature two blades, one with teeth and the other without. These teeth are little grooves on the blade that help to relieve excess weight, soften lines, and blend between areas by efficiently removing your hair in even sections. It also comes in a unique holographic purple with gold accents color making these scissors the most unique pair of scissors aesthetic wise. It also comes with a custom designed Culton tension adjustment screw to adjust the tightness of the blades however you desire.
- MAKE PERFECT CUTS EVERY TIME: This luxurious and elegant hair cutting shears set is constructed from hand-sharpened Japanese stainless steel that retains its sharp edge up to 5x longer than regular stainless steel . These superior blades will never lock up or get dull, ensuring a perfect cut every time.
- SHARP, SMOOTH AND EFFICIENT: With a finely honed blade and a custom designed Culton tension adjustment screw, these shears will outperform any other shears in its class. We invested more time on our product so you can spend more time being productive.
- Comfortable haircuts: These advanced scissors are designed for professionals, which means you can cut all day without feeling tired. These comfortable and easy-to-use scissors can quickly manage your pet’s hair without feeling the pressure on your hands or shoulders. This is the best hair cutting professional scissors
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: We are so confident that you will love these shears that we’ve included our unique lifetime guarantee.
The Fcysy is a new and emerging hair cutting scissors company that produces niche and unique scissors that are special and one of a kind. These fancy 6 inch scissors are made from high quality Japanese 6 Cr stainless steel meaning that it is corrosion resistant making them very durable, long lasting and rust free. They are also heat resistant which is perfect for when you are using your pair of scissors with hair heat tools like straighteners or curlers. Also, these very professional and handy hair scissors come with an adjustable screw, you can easily fine-tune the tension and tightness of this scissor to your liking. The hairdresser’s scissors are cupped by the handle’s distinctive easy grip design, ensuring a confident trim every time. The Fcysy hair scissors also come with a unique brush with a tight tooth side and a wide tooth side that gives the hairdresser full control of the hair. The Fcysy also comes with a storing pouch that is meant for portability and for storing the scissors ensuring easy storage and durability for the scissors
- High quality stainless steel: Fcysy lefty hair scissors are made from high quality Japanese 6 Cr stainless steel. Which is heat resistant, corrosion resistant, rust resistant, colorfast. Lefty handed hair dressing scissors is tempered with precise blades and hand-sharpened cutting edges to evenly trim hair with ease.
- Craftsmanship barber scissors:Fcysy left hand hair shears are made by our professional craftsman. They care every for every detail of the haircut scissors and make sure all the Fcysy hairdressing scissors are the best of the best.
- Ergonomic design: Fcysy professional left-handed barber scissors are equipped with an adjustment screw, you can effortlessly fine-tune this scissor to your desire of tension and tightness. Its distinctive easy grip handle design allows the hairdressers scissors to cradle fingers, delivering a confident haircut every time!
- Professional lefty hair scissors: With a length of 6 inches, and safe smooth blade top design Fcysy hair-cutting scissors are safe and easy to use on men, women, the elderly, children, and babies!
- Easy-touch customer service: All the products delivered by Amazon; this means you can receive your order in the shortest time. Easy-touch services, any problem, please don’t hesitate to contact.
Barber scissors for the left hand with razor-sharp blades for a clean cut and easy hair trimming. Suitable for trimming fringe, bangs, brows, eyelashes, moustaches, short hair and long hair. These high-quality left-handed scissors are made of premium Japanese 440C stainless steel that is sharp and smooth. The dream reach scissors are 5.5 inches in size and very light weight which means that there will be no snagging, death grips, or tugging. If properly protected, it will be durable and it will last for a long time. Cutting scissors are simple to use and may be handled by anyone. Professional barber scissors that are suitable for barbershops and home use.
- Sharp, smooth and efficient: 5.5 Inch small size, suits for fringe, bang, eyebrow, eyelash, mustache trimming and short hair cutting. Convex sharp razor edge provides the users smooth and quiet cutting experience, no pulling or tugging of the hair.
- High quality – Made from 100% Japanese 440C stainless steel hair cutting scissor with extremely sharp blades for clean cut, evenly trim hair with ease, will not damage or split hair ends. Suits for fringe, bang, eyebrow, eyelash, mustache trimming and short hair cutting.
- Lightweight: No snagging, no death grips, no tugging. Durable and lasting for long time if given good protected. Anybody can handle the cutting shears with ease. Equipped with Adjustable Round tension screw, you can effortlessly fine-tune this scissor to your desire of tensioned your hairstyle you like at Home for your Family.
- Versatile: With a length of 5.5”, the hair cutting scissors is safe and easy to use on men, women, the elderly, children and babies. With a sleek stainless steel and mirror polished texture, the scissor reduces messy hair clutters as no hair gets caught in between its blades, unlike other hair cutting scissors on the market. Also, Perfect tool for precise cutting of mustache, beard, eyebrows, hair, sideburns. Control your facial hair in the comfort of your own home and get the professional beard look.
- Satisfaction guarantee: We think you’re going to love these Scissors as much as we do! But in case you don’t, you are covered by the 30 days, no questions asked, money back guarantee.
These great value for money scissors kit contains everything a left handed hairdresser might need. The set includes 1 Barber Scissor, 1 Thinning Scissor, 1 Comb, 1 Oil Bottle, 1 Hair Clipper, 1 Cloth and 2 pairs of finger inserts. It also comes with a storage case making it the best value of money scissor kit on the market. The Haryali scissors also comes with an adjustable screw for a comfortable grip on your hand. The 6-inch scissors are made up of high-quality stainless steel with black powder coating making them one of the sharpest on this list.
- Best Left-Handed hairdressing scissor set for barber, salon and personal use as well. Professional razor edge hair cutting scissors are safe and easy to use on men, women, kids, elderly, babies, and children.
- They are also known as barber scissors, hairdressing scissors, or hair scissors. Hair-cutting scissors are significantly sharper than other scissors and designed specifically for cutting hair. The sizes of our scissors 6.0”.
- The scissors are made up of high-quality stainless steel with black powder coating on it. Scissor with removable finger rest for a comfortable grip. Also, have an adjustable screw so you can adjust them as desired and comfortable.
- Thinning scissors is used to textures hairs as needed. The tips of the teeth are sharp enough to prevent the hair from being caught by the scissors. Set Includes: 1 x Barber Scissor, 1 x Thinning Scissor, 1 x Comb, 1 x Oil Bottle, 1 x Hair Clipper, 1 x Cloth, 2 x Pair of finger inserts. (Already inserted in the scissors)
- 100% free replacement or full money back refund if customer is not satisfied with the purchase. The hairdressing scissor set can be a perfect gift set for your son, father, husband and friends on birthday, thanksgiving, New Year or Christmas.
These lightweight yet sturdy scissors are the top quality on the market. Coming in glossy black colour and a J2 Japanese stainless steel that is sharp and durable. These high-quality J-2 stainless steel hair scissors are tempered with accurate blades and hand-sharpened cutting edges to trim hair evenly and quickly making your job as a hairdresser easier. The 6.5-inch blades are easy to use and the finish on the blades makes it much unlikely for hair to clutter and get caught between the blades.
- Light weight- these right-handed hair scissors are lightweight, elegant and intelligently designed for women, men, kids and pets. Exclusively crafted to give a powerful cut and feel while requiring little to no thumb pressure and no hand fatigue.
- Convex edge sharp blades: this specialized high-quality j-2 stainless steel hair cutting scissor is tempered with precise blades and hand-sharpened cutting edges to evenly trim hair with ease.
- Ergonomic anti-skid design: Ruvanti’s professional hair scissors is prepared with an ergonomic anti skidding design. It’s sharp yet safe blades are carefully crafted to give a professional hair cut every time.
- Premium J2 stainless steel: with a total length of 6.5 inches and blades length of 2.5 inches, this professional sharp edge hair cutting scissor is safe and easy to use on kids, men, women, the elderly, children, babies and pets. Further, with a sleek stainless steel matte polished texture, the scissor not only resist tarnish and rust but also reduces chance of messy hair clutters as no hairs gets caught in between its blades.
- Lifetime warranty: The hair scissor has gone through strict quality assurance tests, which gives the certainty to offer a lifetime surety against this beauty gadget.