Winter has come to an end. The sun is shining, and you’re sick of seeing your pale complexion every time you look in the mirror. It’s time to bake under the sky’s great heat lamp till your white skin turns a golden-brown tan. The only issue is that getting a good tan can take weeks. However, as a quick alternative to spending hours in the sun, you may have considered tanning lotion. Is it true, though, that slathering on some lotion and staying indoors works?
Tanning lotions, often known as sunless tanners, are designed to give consumers a tanned appearance without exposing them to the sun’s radiation. But exactly what do these lotions do to your skin to give it that glow? Dihydroxyacetone, or DHA, is the most common tanning lotion ingredient. It’s just a colour additive that combines with the amino acids in the skin’s surface to darken it.
Do you know that utilising sunbed creams can help you achieve a darker, longer-lasting tan? That is correct. Sunbed creams, often known as tanning lotions, are specially formulated treatments that help to enhance and speed up the tanning process. Ingredients that keep your skin moist can be found in sunbed creams. Amino acids like L-Tyrosine, natural oils, and a variety of vitamins are examples of such components. It’s common knowledge that moist skin tans better than dry skin because it absorbs more UV rays. UV light causes the production of melanin, which causes the dark colour on your skin. Sunbed lotions with bronze or tingling effects increase the production of melanin even more, giving you an instant colour.
Furthermore, research has revealed that the sun and UV rays are among the leading causes of skin ageing. Sunbed creams and lotions containing vitamins, particularly Vitamin E, can help to reduce the ageing effects of UV rays and keep your skin looking young.
Certain oils in tanning creams may help in the absorption of additional UV radiation. This causes your body to produce more melanin, the pigment that gives you a tan, which speeds up the tanning process. These creams, unfortunately, aren’t really safe. When spending time in the sun, use a lotion that shields you from dangerous UV radiation rather than one that aids in their absorption. If you do decide to use a sunless tanner, make sure to read the label to determine if it has sunscreen components and an SPF.
Different types of sunbed creams and tanning lotions
Many of you may be unsure about what type of sunbed cream to use or how to select the best product for your skin. You may find yourself wondering, “Which sunbed cream is right for me?” On the market, there are a plethora of sunbed creams and lotions to choose from. To begin with, sunbed creams are divided into categories such as Accelerators, Bronzers, Coolers, and Tingly Lotions, each of which serves a particular purpose.
Sunbed accelerator creams
Accelerators are sunbed creams that are primarily moisturising and conditioning, keeping your skin hydrated and smooth while also preventing it from drying out. Keeping your skin moisturised allows you to tan more quickly, avoid dryness and exfoliation, and keep your tan for longer. Before and after each tanning session, natural tan accelerators can be employed. We recommend starting with an accelerator/maximiser lotion if you’re new to tanning or have pale/sensitive skin. Most starter accelerators have powerful anti-aging ingredients like CoQ-10. Beginner accelerators are non-tingling and do not contain bronzers, making them ideal for establishing a foundation tan.
Because of the heat created by UV radiation, you may feel uneasy on a sunbed at times. Cooling lotions provide a feeling of cooling and freshness, making your tanning experience more enjoyable. Cooling lotions are the polar opposite of tingles. Coolants are pleasant and provide a cooling effect. They also help you chill down more quickly after a sunbathing session. Exhilarating cooling chemicals in our coolants revitalise and soothe the skin for a wonderful tanning experience.
The bronzer is the next step up and the most popular type of tanning accelerator. The immediate and delayed bronzers are the two types of bronzers. Bronzers have the advantage of combining DHA and active chemicals to provide fast dark results and long-lasting colour, while also continuing to grow after a tanning session to deepen your tan. If you use bronzers, make sure you apply the cream evenly or you’ll get a spotty tan. Bronzers contain additional substances that give your skin an instant natural colour and improve the tanning process. With a bronzer, you’ll notice a difference after only one application.
There are two types of bronzer lotion/cream:
- Natural Bronzers—Rather than employing chemicals to give the face a bronze appearance, natural bronzers use plant-based substances to boost melanin synthesis and deepen the skin’s colour. These bronzers contain moisturisers to keep the skin appearing healthy and fresh in addition to imparting a natural glow. Because only natural components are employed, the impact lasts for only four days. Natural bronzers must be reapplied on a consistent and frequent basis.
- DHA Bronzers — DHA bronzers are a form of tanning bronzer that dyes the skin’s pigment. The primary component, dihydroxyacetone, causes dead skin cells to turn brown. A DHA bronzer can take several hours to take effect, and the tan typically only lasts a few days before those skin cells are lost.
Lotions with tingles
Tingle tanning creams get their name from the fact that they make your skin tingle. They contain substances that boost the creation of oxygen and melanin by stimulating blood circulation. Your skin will appear red, but this will diminish and your skin will become tanned in a shorter period of time. They’re typically used on difficult-to-tan areas like the legs. They should not be used on delicate regions of the body, such as the face. Apply a tingling lotion to a tiny area of your skin and notice how your skin reacts.
Benefits of using sunbed creams and tanning lotions
- The correct tanning lotion will help your skin achieve a natural, healthy glow by assisting the biological process of tanning.
- A tanning lotion will improve the intensity of your tan and allow you to obtain better results in less time.
- Moisturizers in indoor tanning lotions protect your skin, keep it hydrated, and help you look your best.
- Tanning lotions are relatively simple to use, which is why they are the favoured self-tanner of choice for individuals who want to do it themselves. This type of tanner is applied in the same way as conventional lotions and moisturisers are applied. Tanning lotions have a formula and texture similar to moisturisers, and are packed with chemicals that provide quick hydration, while their fast-acting composition and wide range of tones and hues make tanning lotions the most popular DIY sunless tanning alternative for individuals all over the world. In fact, the only significant difference between other types of body lotions/moisturizers and tanning lotions is that the latter contains DHA. DHA is the chemical that causes sunless (or synthetic) tans to appear. When DHA interacts with top-layer skin cells, it darkens the tone of your skin.
- Getting a natural tan by spending long periods of time in the sun might raise your risk of developing skin cancer, as well as cause other skin disorders and irreversible damage. This is why one of the key advantages of tanning lotion over normal sun tanning is its safety. Additionally, while prolonged contact to the sun can trigger early indications of skin ageing, tanning creams can help you avoid wrinkles.
- Improved colour consistency. Applying tanning lotions correctly, especially high-quality ones, can ensure that your new tan is as even as possible and that the dreaded orange-y tint is avoided. New formulae and advances in the fake tanning industry ensure the most realistic tanning effects possible, which are often better and more consistent than natural sun tanning.
Our Best Sunbed Cream & Tanning Lotion Options
Here are our best recommendations for the best sunbed cream/ tanning lotion:
One of the most powerful tanners on the market. The Black Onyx non tingle power tan is sure to give you the fresh and deep looking tan. With the active ingredient that is coenzyme Q10, extracted naturally from black walnut seed oil which is extremely beneficial and hydrating to skin. coenzyme Q10 is an antioxidant that your body produces naturally. This product is also non tingling meaning it would not cause sensitivity to those with highly sensitive skin. Only the greatest ingredients are used in Power Tan products to maximise your tan and keep it soft, supple, and nourished. After application, the skin feels smoother and healthier, and the tanning results are improved. A delectably deep, super tanning product for individuals who don’t like to make compromises. This non-tingling accelerator is literally years ahead of its time, utilising the most cutting-edge tanning technology – AlgoTan – to outperform the competition. Only the finest ingredients are used to manufacture this incredible product, which provides a tanning sensation with no bounds. Power Tan has some of the greatest tanning products on the market, with salon-quality products in a wide range of tanning solutions to suit your skin type and desired tan look.
Only the greatest ingredients are used in Power Tan products to maximise your tan and keep it soft, supple, and nourished. After application, the skin feels smoother and healthier, and the tanning results are improved. Power Tan indoor tanning lotions range have amazing fragrances and this product is Paradiso fragrance scent which will leave you smelling fresh as ever. The sunbed cream is also infused with Vitamin B5 & Vitamins C & E to fight skin damage and leave your skin extra moisturized.
- Contains Algotan superior tanning technology for maximum tanning results
- Black Walnut seed oil with Coenzyme Q10
- Pro-Vitamin B5 & Vitamins C & E to fight free radical skin damage
- L-Tyrosine boosted formula
- Paradiso Fragrance
This salon quality sunbed lotion/serum is the best yet on the market. The EcoTan Accelerator is the type of sunbed lotion to keep your skin moisturised and allows you to tan more quickly, avoid dryness and exfoliation, and keep your tan for longer. The 500 ml is sure to also last you a long time. Special ingredients work along with the skin’s own melanin to speed up the tanning process and assist the skin obtain an even, flawless colour. Prior to sun exposure, it moisturises and prepares the skin. Special chemicals assist speed up the tanning process by promoting the skin’s natural melanin. It’s safe to use before, during, and after sun exposure or a sunbed treatment. All skin types are suitable for this tanning serum/ lotion. This product is infused with the highly hydrating aloe vera gel which is the number one natural ingredient used for sunburns. It possesses antiviral and antibacterial properties, as well as the capacity to effectively heal your skin and it has anti-aging properties. Also, unlike most tanning lotions, it’s safe to use on your face. This unique cosmetic product is also cruelty free.
- Salon quality: 500ml Salon Size, professional quality for use in salon, spas and at home.
- Deep golden tan: EcoTan Accelerator helps you to achieve that deep golden colour in half the time and make your tan last for a lot longer.
- Easy to use: Use daily before, during and after sun exposure to prolong the life of your natural tan.
- Innovative formula prolongs tan: Special innovative formula works with your own melanin to accelerate a deep golden tan.
- Intense tan: Accelerates, intensifies and prolongs your natural tan
Pro Tan Incredibly Black Ultra Powerful 10X Double Dark Bronzing Lotion is a 50xxx ultra black lotion with maximum tanning. Watch as people take notice of your new found brazen bronze colour, which is only possible thanks to this silky smooth, sophisticated recipe. Rich, hydrating formula that keeps skin soft and smooth all day, every day, with the added bonus of high-speed micro bronzing beads that deliver an immediate flash of bronze for that perfect off-the-beach glow. Discover total harmony with this bold dark bronzing tanning lotion that will have everyone envy of your stunning, Incredibly Black allure. With innovative tanning accelerators, natural exotic ingredients, Monoi de Tahiti oil, and the excellent skin moisturising characteristics of pure aloe vera, go really dark with this 10x bronzing blend. Pro Tan believes that to get excellent skin tone and colour, the newest in skin care components and tanning technology must be used at maximum levels. Every Pro Tan recipe is a living, breathing manifestation of the Pro Tan philosophy: to work with athletes in their prime, to treat the skin as a soft canvas, to tone and tan the skin to reflect the individual and expose their true definition without sacrificing quality. Pro Tan’s recipe has helped it become the most popular self-tanning product among bodybuilders, fitness competitors, and models. Pro Tan is the professional’s pick for indoor and outdoor tanning because of its unique recipe. This product, however, does not contain sunscreen so it is advised to be applied along with sunscreen. It produces a rich, black colour that develops over time as a result of UV exposure. It also softens and your skin to get that glow and dewy sun tan look.
Package Weight : 0.29 Kilograms
Item dimensions L x W x H: 5.1 x 15.2 x 10.2 centimetres
Item weight: 8.5 Ounces
Brand: Pro Tan
Volume: 250 Millilitres
Skin type: Sensitive
The best-selling miracle moisturises and nurtures your skin while giving you that lovely tan in a natural way, regardless of your skin type. It’s ideal for those who value their skin as much as their tan, as it’s made from only the finest 100 percent natural components. This premium tanning cream is made of all natural ingredients. Carrot oil, extra virgin olive oil, walnut oil & cacao butter are just some of the ingredients used in this all-natural tanning cream. Carrot oil is a powerful antioxidant for ageing skin, has anti-inflammatory properties to calm skin, can cell regenerate for radiance, moisturise dry skin and most importantly it aids in your tanning session. Extra virgin olive oil, on the other hand, has exceptional moisturising and nourishing properties to hydrate the skin of both face and body. Its high content in vitamin A and E but also D and K makes it an ideal product to protect (especially in colder seasons) and nourish even the most sensitive skins. Walnut oil contains healthy Omega-3 fats that help to strengthens and repairs the membranes of your skin cells, trapping in moisture and nutrients while keeping out contaminants that can harm them. Cacao butter is a classic when it comes to moisturizing skin and it is an age old recipe for amazing and radiating skin. Because cocoa butter is heavy in fatty acids, it’s known for its ability to moisturise and nourish the skin while also improving elasticity. Cocoa butter’s fat produces a protective layer over the skin, keeping moisture in. Smoothing scars, wrinkles, and other markings on the skin is a frequent utilization of cocoa butter.
- Premium Tanning Cream 190ml.
- 100%, natural ingredients. Carrot Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Walnut Oil & Cacao Butter.
- Super effective in tanning beds.
- Absorbs fast, leaves no stains.
- Great for all skin types
Developed and produced in sunny Florida, home of the perfect tanning products, with carefully selected ingredients to help you attain your ideal tan while also nourishing your skin for the finest possible results. The most valuable and fancy tanning product on this list. The Onyx Magnifique has both bronzing and accelerating ingredients in its formula especially designed to enhance and get you the desired colour of your tan. The Onyx Magnifique also has a unique body firming formula. Made from coffee and yerba ingredients. Coffee may also aid to promote good skin, according to studies. Caffeic acid, an antioxidant, has been shown to increase collagen levels and slow cell ageing. Caffeic acid also has antibacterial qualities, therefore it may aid to protect the skin from pathogens. The antioxidant component of yerba is an additional bonus, as it helps to decrease and prevent the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, increase firmness and elasticity, and moisturise the sensitive skin. It’s for this reason that antioxidants are so important in skin care. Also, one of the main ingredients of Onyx Magnifique is lemon grass giving a feeling of refreshment that is especially needed after a hot summer day. The lotion is non-sticky and lightweight unlike most product on the market these days that leave you feeling greasy and sticky. The special formula in the lotion is also meant to be absorbed easily. Applying this lotion will leave you smelling like a fresh grapefruit, Jasmine and musk for that sweet, fruit and floral scent that is just perfect for the summer.
- Powerful sunbed cream made with high quality bronzing and accelerating ingredients enhance the desired colour of your tan!
- Push-Up Complex and Cellulite-Fighting power of Magnifique sunbed cream provides skin with dark tanning results and ensures body firming process thanks to Coffee and Yerba Mate extracts
- Magnifique sunbed tanning accelerator designed with Lemon Grass gives a feeling of refreshment
- A lightweight, non-sticky texture makes the sunbed tanning lotion easily absorbable
- Magic Spell fragrance (Jasmine balanced with Grapefruit and White Musk) for a moment of relaxation when tanning