When you look in the mirror, do you find yourself gently tugging back skin on your face, wanting it would stay in place? Do you have a problem with the jiggle in your upper arms? The most dramatic results will come from a surgical lift, such as a facelift or eyelid surgery, but there are dozens of other skin-tightening methods. These other options require less downtime and are less expensive. Another advantage is that many of them may be used to lift just about any part of your body. Saggy skin, like wrinkles and fine lines, is an age-related concern for many people. This loss of definition can occur practically anywhere on the body, although the face, neck, belly, and arms are the most common places. Sagging skin is caused by a number of reasons, including epidermis (skin’s surface) thinning and collagen loss.
Table of Contents
What causes skin to sag as we age?
- Loss of collagen: Collagen is present in the bones, joints, and tendons and is the most abundant protein in the body. It also helps to keep the skin looking young by giving the dermis, the skin’s thickest layer, structure. The body naturally loses collagen as you age. Elastin, another protein that keeps the skin firm and tight, is included as a result of this.
- Loose skin from weight loss: You can have loose skin if you’ve lost weight. This is due to the fact that when the body grows bigger, the skin expands. According to one study, carrying extra weight for an extended period of time damages the skin’s collagen and elastin fibres. The skin’s ability to snap back into place following weight reduction is harmed as a result of this. When the skin swells across the abdomen during pregnancy, the same thing happens. Excess skin removal surgery is common because loose skin can have a negative impact on a person’s self-esteem. Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and mastopexy (breast lift) are two popular cosmetic surgeries.
- Years of sun exposure: The sun has a significant influence in the onset of early indications of ageing. UV radiation is responsible for 80% of noticeable facial ageing signs, according to a study including 298 women aged 30 to 78. Wrinkles, vascular disorders, and drooping skin are all examples of this. Over time, these rays damage and break down the skin’s elasticity, causing premature sagging. Years of sun exposure can cause the epidermis, the skin’s outermost layer, to thin. Aside from the sun, the skin is exposed to free radicals from the environment, which can damage collagen and elastin fibres. Toxins, pollutants, and even the food you eat fall in that category.
Are there nonsurgical ways to reverse this process?
In many circumstances, tightening the skin on your face does not require drastic methods. Instead, physicians suggest that a series of small tweaks which could include skin care, lasers, and other procedure scan be more successful and natural-looking than going under the knife. These methods include:
- Firming creams, lotions and oils
Choose a firming cream or lotion with retinoids and collagen as anti-aging components to get the most out of it. Use the cream on a daily basis and follow a healthy skin routine, which includes wearing sunscreen on a regular basis. Antioxidants and cell regulators are also included in the best skin tightening treatments to encourage collagen formation.
- Facial exercises
Try facial workouts if you want a natural facial lift. These are easy to perform at home and don’t cost anything. Facial workouts use a variety of approaches to tone and tighten the muscles in the face. Jawline exercises, for example, are said to lessen the appearance of a double chin, which is a trouble area for some people.\
Peptides from collagen. This supplement has grown in popularity in recent years for a reason: it works to repair collagen that has been broken down in the body. It comes in a variety of forms, including a collagen drink. To see effects, take it on a daily basis and regularly. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant. This strong antioxidant helps to repair damaged skin cells, protect the skin from free radicals, and even aids in the synthesis of collagen.
Ingredients to look for in skin tightening creams, lotions and oils
Antioxidants and cell regulators are the two types of components to look for. Vitamins B3, C, and E are antioxidants with a molecular weight small enough to penetrate the skin and delay the deterioration of collagen. Collagen formation is also aided by cell regulators such as retinol, peptides, and growth factors.
Niacinamide, a type of vitamin B3, is an anti-aging ingredient found in topical skin tightening lotions. When administered at a concentration of 5%, niacinamide has been shown to improve skin elasticity.
To tighten skin and combat the effects of ageing, vitamin C is compounded into L-ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid, in concentrations of 5–15 percent, boosts collagen production and protects specific forms of collagen from degradation by an enzyme called matrix metalloproteinase.
Skin tightening creams contain vitamin E, also known as alpha-tocopherol, which smooths the skin and helps it retain moisture. It’s also used to help with wound healing and to protect against sun damage.
Vitamin A, also known as retinol, is an antioxidant that protects your cells from being damaged by harmful molecules. Retinol has been shown to boost collagen production in aged or damaged skin when added to a skin tightening cream.
Tretinoin, a vitamin A derivative, is an antioxidant that works in the same way as retinol to tighten the skin.
Many skin tightening creams use some form of peptide. Peptides are combinations of amino acids that encourage collagen growth and firm up skin.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a naturally occurring chemical that helps your body retain water, especially in the epidermis, or outer layer of skin. The production of HA, like collagen, slows with age, causing the skin to lose elasticity and become dry and wrinkled.
Salicylic and glycolic acid
Exfoliating the skin, or removing the outer layer of dead skin cells, is done with salicylic acid (beta hydroxy acid, or BHA) and glycolic acid (alpha hydroxy acid, or AHA). Exfoliation can help other treatments penetrate the skin more easily, as well as boost collagen production, which tightens the skin.
Recommended skin tightening products:
This unique skin firming oil contains a natural blend of all skin tightening natural ingredients. This natural blend consists of niacinamide, rosehip seed oil, hyaluronic acid, matrixyl 3000, plant stem cells and peptides. Peptides highly encourage collagen growth and firm up skin. Meanwhile, matrixyl 3000 is a one of a kind peptide. It works by reducing the cutaneous photo damage by restructuring the fragile network of the papillary dermis. In a nutshell it’s an anti-aging product that reverses all the damage of ageing. Rosehip oil, however, is rich in essential fatty acids and antioxidants, which are integral for tissue and cell regeneration in the skin. Niacinamide helps hydrate skin, treats hyperpigmentation, promotes skin elasticity, decreases redness and blotchiness and acts as an antioxidant, fighting free radicals and plant stem cells have a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect. All in all this product is perfect and nutrient rich for your skin.
- Incredible Firming Fluid: Potent ingredients like niacinamide and plant lipid factors allow our facial serum to strengthen, thicken and repair skin! As it fortifies the structure of your face, it provides an instantly visible lift with no surgery or injections required.
- Anti-Wrinkle Serum: By stimulating collagen 1, collagen 111 and elastin fibroblasts, our anti-aging serum for face refines the appearance of wrinkles! It’s all thanks to our amino acids, peptides and hyaluronic acid, which can help smooth and plump the skin.
- Smoother, Brighter Complexion: With rosehip for hydration and matrixyl 3000, our peptide serum reveals your healthier, younger-looking complexion! Finished with botanical antioxidants, it provides protective care to help minimize future damage.
- Expertly Formulated: Lightweight and fast-absorbing, our collagen serum treats your skin to a bit of pampering! From cellular permeability components to sandalwood and rose essential oils, we use the best ingredients for safe, visible results.
Nivea’s light firming body lotion is the best budget option for a firming body cream that could be used on any part of your body. The unique ingredient of Q10 is formulated specially to tighten and nourish the skin. Along with the vitamin C component this body lotion is very hydrating and nourishing to the skin. Q10 is a compound that’s naturally present in our skin, one that energizes skin cells, which results in antioxidant effects, protecting our skin from oxidative damage.
- Firming Moisturiser – Our extra rich, anti-ageing intensive moisturising lotion has been specially designed to soothe skin and to provide long-lasting moisture
- Q10 + C – The firming body cream is infused with the NIVEA’s powerful Q10 which is carefully blended with Vitamin C to firm and nourish the skin
- Hydrate Skin – The moisturising lotion makes skin noticeably firmer, provides elasticity after just 10 days of use and leaves skin energised and hydrated
- Method of Application – Apply anti-wrinkle firming body lotion daily to your whole body to moisturise skin. Reapply on particularly dry areas when necessary
- Pump Bottle – New pump format for convenient usage. NIVEA Light Firming Body Lotion firms skin & improves elasticity in just 10 days
The main ingredient in this cream is pure Argan Oil which moisturizes, hydrates, and softens your skin. Argan Oil also helps protect the skin elasticity while reducing the look of wrinkles, fine lines, and blemishes. This skin treatment is also infused with 24k gold which an anti-inflammatory agent. Lotus Extract is also a key ingredient in this product. It contains Vitamin C, Vitamin B complex, and antioxidants. While the coffee bean extracts are also anti-inflammatory they help exfoliate the skin which renews the skin giving you a soft and glowy look.
- Medix 5.5 Anti-aging cream is packed with great ingredients to help reduce the look of wrinkles, fine lines, cellulite, sagging skin, and blemishes. Natural Argan oil, coffee bean, aloe vera, lotus extract promote smooth, firm, and healthy looking skin.
- Pure Argan Oil moisturizes, hydrates, and softens your skin. Argan Oil also helps protect the skin elasticity while reducing the look of wrinkles, fine lines, and blemishes. 24KT Gold reduces inflammation and protects your skin against free radicals and environmental damage. Notice hydrated and youthful skin thanks to these two ingredients.
- Infused with Lotus Extract, Aloe Vera, and Coffee Bean for instant hydration to the skin while increasing skin’s elasticity and complexion. Lotus Extract contains Vitamin C, Vitamin B complex, and antioxidants that help nourish and brighten your complexion. Coffee Bean extracts cleanse and purify your skin by reducing redness and inflammation while tightening and exfoliating the skin. Botanimoist AMS is also known to increase your skins hydration by almost 88%.
- This luxurious anti-aging cream is gentle enough to be used a face moisturizer and is large enough to be used every day as a body moisturizer. Thick moisturizing cream will leave your skin feeling hydrated and refreshed.
- Vegan and Cruelty-Free. Free from: Parabens, Alcohol, Animal-Derived Ingredients, PEGs, Formaldehyde,Sulfates, dyes, Triclosan, Propylene Glycol, Mineral Oil, and Talc. Not tested on animals.